Project Website | Online Demo | Forum |
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

Which direction should take BADGER finance development?
Fix bugs and aim towards a stable version 1.0 in near future. Implement new features later. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Implement as much features as possible. I'm happy with a long-term beta status. 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Direction of Future Development
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

We're happy to receive arguments and reasoning for both possible directions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:05 am 

lets RELEASE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:38 pm 

neither nor ... and both.

i think we need to do both things at the same time. which is what our module development process requires and supports:
each module has owners, those owners are responsible to keep up module quality. if somebody is missing a feature or wants to do something new, he can start a new module.

i definately and strongly oppose the alternatives that we have either a perfect software (which is not called beta anymore) or a feature rich software.

to me it is clear that we want to have a software which is not beta and which is feature rich!

in my mind, the badger core / platform is production stable by now. everything else should be done, fixed (and released) on a per-module-basis.
thats what the module development process and the modular architecture not only suggest but demand.

badger was never meant to be a package (which as a whole is either growing or stable) - badger is a platform into which individually released modules are plugged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

holger wrote:
neither nor ... and both.

i think we need to do both things at the same time. which is what our module development process requires and supports:
each module has owners, those owners are responsible to keep up module quality. if somebody is missing a feature or wants to do something new, he can start a new module.

i definately and strongly oppose the alternatives that we have either a perfect software (which is not called beta anymore) or a feature rich software.

to me it is clear that we want to have a software which is not beta and which is feature rich!

in my mind, the badger core / platform is production stable by now. everything else should be done, fixed (and released) on a per-module-basis.
thats what the module development process and the modular architecture not only suggest but demand.

badger was never meant to be a package (which as a whole is either growing or stable) - badger is a platform into which individually released modules are plugged.

I think it is not possible to do both things at the same time.
  • The parts of our system are called modules, but modular is almost nothing about them. There is no independent install procedure, data storage, they are completely dependent on each other.
  • We do not have sufficient test resources to test one module or (as required by tight integration) the whole system for side effects each time we improve one module. Therefore I see no way of maintaining the required quality.
  • From my experience, continous updates are unmanagable. We need to have distinct, tested releases, which oppose the "module-by-module" thought.
  • I'm a fan of "open source versioning" opposing "commercial software versioning". I. e. version 1.0 means rock-solid, long-term (or at least mid-term) daily usage proofed software without any more-than-subtile bugs opposing "it runs more or less, let's release!" This isn't reached by BADGER yet and cannot be reached if we continue to implement new features.
  • In the long term, I also want to integrate more or less every functionality we can think of. The question was specifically posed for next development steps. In this time, considering current development resources, we have to decide where to put the energy in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:59 am 

(open source versioning means .... )

enikao wrote:
[*] version 1.0 means rock-solid, long-term (or at least mid-term) daily usage proofed software without any more-than-subtile bugs

that is what the current badger is to me. i know of no major or more-than-subtle bugs. i use it daily. is has proven to help me not having to talk to my bank every month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

holger wrote:
(open source versioning means .... )

enikao wrote:
[*] version 1.0 means rock-solid, long-term (or at least mid-term) daily usage proofed software without any more-than-subtile bugs

that is what the current badger is to me. i know of no major or more-than-subtle bugs. i use it daily. is has proven to help me not having to talk to my bank every month.

I cannot confirm this. Three serious bugs from my mind:

1. Does not work on a properly configured MySQL server
2. Does not match similar transactions with negative amounts
3. Forecast drops below lower limit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:13 pm 

I'd like to follow both directions - improving our old stuff and implementing new features.

All new "modules" should be kept as beta versions (even if they are no real "modules").