Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

Which structuring system should we use?
Poll ended at Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:14 am
Keep it as it is -- two-level category system 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Categories are cool, but I need a deeper hierarchy 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Tags are the future 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Tags are cool, but need an inner hierarchical structure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Which structuring system should we use?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:14 am 
Site Admin

BADGER 1 used a two-level category system for structuring transactions. We may continue this system or change it.

The possible options:
  • Two-level category system: As shown in BADGER 1.
  • Arbitrary-level category system: Categories should be nestable in any depth.
  • Simple tag system: Transactions should have 0 to n tags. Tags themself should have no structure.
  • Hierarchical tag system. Transactions should have 0 to n tags. Tags should be ordered in a hierarchy.

Last edited by enikao on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:36 am 

tags are fun and very web2.0
but this is an accounting system. any accounting system i know has a hierarchical sytem of categories. this is needed because i need to be able to sort transactions into categories that belong to other categories.

example:

i have the category "car" and the sub-categories "insurance" and "gas".

without a hierarchical system i would not be able to analyse my spendings that i am doing for "car" because i would have only one level of tags.

so i vote for option 2: variable-depth hierarchies. i dont see the difference between hierarchical categories and hierarchical tags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:43 am 
Site Admin

holger wrote:
example:

i have the category "car" and the sub-categories "insurance" and "gas".

without a hierarchical system i would not be able to analyse my spendings that i am doing for "car" because i would have only one level of tags.

so i vote for option 2: variable-depth hierarchies. i dont see the difference between hierarchical categories and hierarchical tags.

The main difference I see between tags and categories are hierarchy and multiplicity.

Categories:
Every transaction can have only one category. Relations to other transactions are set explicitly and generally by the category hierarchy.

Tags:
Every transaction can have zero to unlimited tags. Relations to other transactions are set individually by just assigning multiple tags. Tags have either no relation by itself (flat model) or explicitly set by a hierarchy.

In your situation, I would just attach both the tags "car" and "insurance" to one transaction. Then I can analyze all car spendings by just selecting tag "car", all insurance spendings by selecting "insurance" and all car insurance spendings by selecting both tags. This already shows some advantage of the tag system, as there would be no way to have the "car insurance" category both below "car" and "insurance" main categories, so you could either analyze all car related or insurance related spendings easily.

There are also other requirements for multiple structuring entries. For example, I just moved to another place. I bought some new electronics for this place. This would go to my "electronics" category. But I also have a category for "new flat". In a category system, I have to choose. In a tag system, I can have arbitrary number of assignments, at any granularity level.

As seen above, you can simulate a hierarchy by a flat tag system. Therefore, I think a flat tag system is the best way, a hierarchy in the tags would add unnecessary complexity.

If we provide type assist for tags (i. e. if you type the first few characters, BADGER proposes all tags starting with these characters), it is very easy to compose existing tags, for example, to a query.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:32 am 

you have me fully convinced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:08 am 

i'll vote as well for tags. i've realized this hierarchical problem with insurance spendings (car and personal).

but the type ahead possibility is indispensable. otherwise we will have problems with spelling differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi teamplayers,

my favorite way is, do that all as different modules and select as useroption to install

it is as more (more off more) work, but you have peace and the decision the user what he want

Hope you understand my way.

Jürgen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:09 pm 

juergen wrote:
Hi teamplayers,

my favorite way is, do that all as different modules and select as useroption to install

it is as more (more off more) work, but you have peace and the decision the user what he want

Hope you understand my way.

Jürgen

Honestly, I don't. this discussion is "Tags" against "Categories" and has - at this point - nothing to do with modularization ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Ok ok,
i stay on it, do them twice and let the user say what he need

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:41 pm 

ok understood :lol:
(even though not agreed ;-) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

juergen wrote:
Ok ok,
i stay on it, do them twice and let the user say what he need

I think we have to do a thoughtful decision what to modularize and what to fix.

Theoretically, doing almost everything in a modularized way is very appealing. But if you exaggerate this principle, you add extreme complexity to the system without equivalent gain.

IMHO this question belongs to the part we should fix, as (see above) a category system can be simulated by the tag approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:44 pm 

i am going to take this in german real quick to possibly end the confusion:

hallo leute.

es gibt hier 2 fragen:

1: Modularisieren wir badger, und wenn ja, wie weit?
--> Diese Frage wird in einem anderen Thread diskutiert.

2: Sollten Transaktionen einer Kategorie zugeordnet werden oder sollten sie mit "tags" versehen werden? (bei beidem mit der option, dass hierarchien möglich sind).,

Diese beiden Fragen haben nichts miteinander zu tun, da Kategorisierung bzw. Tagging ein fundamentaler Bestandteil von Badger sind.

Ich habe Jürgens Beitrag so verstanden, dass er gern beides hätte und es den user entscheiden lassen würde. Verstanden, halte ich aber für technisch nicht machbar, da die einteilung der transaktionen eines der fundamentalsten prinzipien von badger darstellen. Wenn wir hier *beides* anbieten können wir große Teile des Badger-Kerns doppelt programmieren.

Ganz klare Aussage: Mit der Diskussion (Modularisierung oder nicht) hat es inhaltlich. garnix zu tun. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:14 pm 

How would a transaction tagged 'car' for a model car purchase not be included in a report for car expenses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:11 am 
Site Admin

tradeher wrote:
How would a transaction tagged 'car' for a model car purchase not be included in a report for car expenses?

There are two possible solutions:
1) You tag the model car by "ModelCar"
2) We define the tag delimiter by something different from space, so you would tag something like "model car; birthday present". This would require a user-definable tag delimiter, which shouldn't be hard to implement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:27 pm 

tradeher wrote:

since a model car is a toy, i would just tag it "toy" ?

for me, this example is not an argument against tags. if you have categories and there is a category "car" and you put the model car into that category it will also show up in the car expense report ... both times it would be a user error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:31 am 

To only be able to use the tag 'toy' seems to restrictive. What if a user is really into toys or models in a big way. They would then want to distinguish between toy car and toy tank. The problem with using the tags 'toy car' or 'toy tank' is that we could then not create a report on just transaction with the tag 'toy' unless we also included the tag 'toy' with the tag 'toy car' or 'toy tank'. If we use the tags 'model' or 'toy', and 'car' to tag the model car transaction we still have the problem of this transaction showing up in our real car expense report.