Project Website | Online Demo | Forum |
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Time to close the polls
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:40 pm 

I would like to have a deadline for the votings below as they will be the basis for the work coming up.

My proposition: Friday, November 9th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:33 am 
Site Admin

Full ACK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:06 pm 

I know that this request is past the poll closing date and I will understand if you decide not to vote on a proposal to include an account reconcile feature. I beleive it is a necessary feature if the user is to take the badger application seriously. A discussion of the feature can be found here (viewtopic.php?t=163).

The following is a business definition of reconcilliation:

the process of adjusting the balance in your checkbook to match your bank statement. Your checkbook balance, plus outstanding checks, less bank charges, plus interest (if any), should equal the balance shown on your bank statement.

Reconciliation lets the user know what checks have cleared and what checks are still outstanding(uncashed).
Also lets the user know if the amount the check was issued for is the amount the bank debited from the checking account.

As far as implementing this feature in the database, I think it would simply be a matter of adding an additional column to the finished_transaction table called 'cleared' of type tinyint not null default 0
with 0 being not cleared and 1 being cleared.

When the user gets their checking account statement at the end of the month and clicks the 'reconcile feature' the badger application would then allow the user to enter the month ending balance of the checking account. The user could optionally input any interest from checking and any electronic transfers from sources such as employment or mortgage payment.

The user would then click enter and a list of checking account transaction that have not cleared would be displayed.
with a cleared account balance and a bank ending balance displayed.

The user would check any uncleared transactions displayed that are listed on the bank statement, until the all transaction that are listed on the bank statement have been checked in the application and the cleared account balance and the bank ending balance are equal.

If they are not equal the user can then make necessary corrections.

Reasons why the two balances might not be equal.

Amount check was issued for is not the amount the check was cashed for.
User forgot to include transaction in badger checking account for employment.
Amount of wages credited to checking account varied from planned transaction amount.

This reconciliation process allows the user to be confident of the current checking account balance in the badger finance application.

Without this process, the potential for the banks account balance and the users account balance to be different will be greatly increased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tradeher,

you are right, the polls are closed. But they were all about some very basic decisions for BADGER 2. If we get the next Version as I imagine it, it would be no problem to add a plugin for your request. You seem having some technicial background, so you might even be able to provide this plugin by yourself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:28 am 

Hello Enikao,

Yes, I do have a limited technical background in computer programming. I completed a 2 year course in programming at the local community college(not a university) in 2002. I became interested in the badger application because I wanted to see how transactions are implemented in mysql. I enjoy solving problems and would enjoy learning how to create a plug-in for the reconcile feature.

I have little or no experience in javascript or ajax or the MVC design pattern but I am willing to learn. I do know how to create a normalized database and create applications using object oriented principles. Most of my limited experience is in php but I have dabbled with perl, python and java. I do not consider myself proficient in any language.

I want to thank you and the other badger team members for your contribution of the badger application to the open source movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:14 pm 

Sorry guys,
haven't been active here because I'm currently having some private pains in the behind ... (being kicked out of my appartment and so on .. )

will let you know when things get settled and I get around to propose a modus operandi.